The City College of New York
The City College of New York has contributed approximately 1,800 images of works from their art collection to the Artstor Digital Library.
The selection in Artstor consists of objects acquired by The City College from its founding in 1847 to the present day. These include ancient artifacts, plaster casts, and murals, as well as prints, drawings, and paintings from the 19th and 20th centuries. The collection also encompasses contemporary holdings, such as the David and Lenore Levy Collection of Contemporary Photography, which includes the work of Manuel Alvarez Bravo, Marilyn Bridges, Lucien Clergue, Elliott Erwitt, Andreas Feininger, Larry Fink, Sally Gall, Ralph Gibson, Mary Ellen Mark, Joel Meyerowitz, Dorothy Norman, and Gilles Peress, among others. Also represented are works acquired through Percent for Art, a program of The City of New York Department of Cultural Affairs, which aims to bring public art to the city’s civic architecture and public spaces, including projects by contemporary artists such as Romare Bearden, Yeou Jui Cho, Lisa Dinhofer, April Gornik, Keith Haring, Susan Kaprov, Mary Ann Unger, and Kay Walkingstick.
The City College of New York was founded in 1847 as the Free Academy of New York, the first free public institution of higher education in the United States. Since 1961 it has been the flagship institution of the City University of New York (CUNY). Originally located near Gramercy Park, The City College moved to its present 35-acre campus in upper Manhattan on St. Nicholas Heights in 1907. Many of the neo-Gothic buildings designed by George Browne Post are on National, State, and City registers of historic places.