Hillwood Estate, Museum & Gardens

The Hillwood Estate, Museum & Gardens has contributed approximately 1,000 images from its permanent collection to the Artstor Digital Library.

In 1955, Marjorie Merriweather Post bought Hillwood in Washington D.C. and renovated the property with the intention of leaving it as a museum to inspire and educate the public. The Hillwood Estate, Museum & Gardens opened as a public institution in 1977, with the most comprehensive collection of Russian imperial art outside of Russia, a distinguished 18th-century French decorative arts collection, six working greenhouses with an outstanding orchid collection, and twenty-five acres of landscaped gardens and natural woodlands.

With more than 17,000 objects, highlights include: two Imperial Fabergé Easter eggs; a Rolltop Desk by Abraham and David Roentgen; two chests of drawers by Jean-Henri Riesener; A Portrait of the Duchess of Parma and Her Daughter by Jean-Marc Nattier; A Portrait of Countess Samoilova by Karl Briullov; A Boyar Wedding Feast by Konstantin Egorovich Makovskii; bleu céleste wares by the Sèvres Porcelain Manufactory; and a chasuble worn by a bishop during the coronation of Nicholas II in 1896. Additional strengths include Beauvais tapestries from the 1730s, table services commissioned by Catherine the Great, Russian Orthodox Church objects, rare lace tablecloths, Wedgwood ceramics, bloodstone objects, and jewelry by Harry Winston and Cartier.

Since 1997, Hillwood has presented a range of scholarly exhibitions to build on the international nature of the collections. In 2012, with the presentation of Prêt-à-Papier: The Exquisite Art of Isabelle de Borchgrave, Hillwood launched a program that adds contemporary and outdoor initiatives to the ongoing effort to highlight the collections, gardens, and the Marjorie Merriweather Post life story. The inclusion of exterior installations was again achieved in 2017 with Philip Haas’s Four Seasons, monumental garden figures -- in homage to Giuseppe Arcimboldo.